Monday, August 11, 2008

Duncan's on 25 years of marriage. . .


Today our parent's have been married for 25 years. It is nothing short of a miracle, a wonderful miracle, but pretty strange just the same. Mom was relating the story of how my dad would compete against another guy in the church to see who could make it across the gym walking on their hands. For being an intellectual mom definitely "gets the vapors" when she sees a strong man. Laura inherited that gene, and can become equally incompasitated by bulging muscles and a tight t-shirt. I definitely got a different gene - prefering anyone tall, pale and who doesn't mind crying with me once in awhile. In fact, I dated this guy Eric in high school who I thought of as skinny and generally weak, when he suddenly sprung the fact on me that he played football. I did a double-take as realized that he was actually kind of built. That was the beginning of the end. Don't get me wrong, I don't like feminine men, I just am not easily impressed by muscles.


Ok, that wandered a far way away from my parent's anniversary. Suffice it to say that the love is still in the air for my parents. They are about as different as night and day, but they have taught us to be patient, to honor promises, to set boundaries, and to love unconditionally. Lucky for me I am living at home and am privy to their gross make out sessions. They are not shy about getting all oogy with each other. Laura can back me up on the shiver that goes down eveyone's spine at the mention of the "passion pit."

No comments: